Update on Kung Pow Cards

It’s been a while since I last posted an update on Kung Pow Cards, as any adult knows, life tends to get pretty busy at times with other responsibilities. We are still pushing forward pretty hard on getting Kung Pow Cards out the door and we’ve made some good progress on game play itself. My brother and I are currently doing initial testing on both iOS and Android devices. We also decided to implement some AI on our server as a form of an NPC that you will be able to challenge; these NPCs will gain match points and work up their levels just as any normal player would as they play against other people.  These special players will reward you with increased match points and coins if you win against them. We figured having a chance to challenge an NPC for extra rewards would add some excitement to the game play.

“Kari the Shape Fairy” tends to take over anytime I’m testing our games…here she is playing against…uh…her alter ego on a second Android device. She always promptly lets me know when something doesn’t work like it is supposed to.P1070521

Now for the technical part…warning, if your eyes glaze over after the first sentence, feel free to stop.  That is unless you are trying to go to sleep, in that case read on, you should be asleep by the fourth sentence.

We’ve decided to implement an additional method of communication that we’ll use primarily during actual game play. Beforehand, I had implemented two forms of communication between the database and the two devices that were playing a match; those were web-services and Push Notifications. Web-services are mainly used while on the Camp screen for things like updating your profile, your skill cards book, pulling down any challenges you may have, messages from other players, etc… The Push Notifications were used to to let the device know if it needed to pull down information that had been updated in the database. We were using a combination of web-servcies and Push Notifications during the match, and while it seemed to work okay, I wasn’t okay with depending on a 3rd party server (Google Cloud Services & Apple Push Notification Servers) to reliably deliver these messages when they needed to. Thinking of how many thousands of messages per second these 3rd party servers probably process, any small hiccup could delay game play. Users want smooth and fast game play especially when playing a card game, so we decided to go ahead and create a game server on our web server that the devices could connect to. This would give both devices a dedicated communications channel to the database and hopefully limit any delays that could happen waiting for a Push Notification to be delivered to a device. So now we have three forms of communication between the devices and the database. The device’s primary communication channel will be the game server during game play, secondary will be web-services + Push Notifications and the last one, will be just web-services if Push Notifications fail. Since Unity does not support sockets for iOS and Android in the free version, we had to create our own plugins using Java (Android) and Objective-C (iOS). That set us back time wise a bit but luckily I was already familiar with sockets programming in C++; however, doing this in Objective-C was a bit of a challenge as it feels quite different than your C/C++/C#/Java flavor. So, with the Java plugin done, the Objective-C plugin done, the C# plugin (for testing in PC Standalone Unity) done and the PHP Game Server done, it’s just a matter of testing and working out any bugs in the Server/Client setup for this part of Kung Pow Cards. The only thing I’m not too sure about is how well a PHP Game Server will be able to keep up with traffic. I imagine I’ll probably end up creating a C based Game Server that runs on the web-server instead of going the PHP route…I guess we’ll see if that needs to happen during testing!

and